Welcome to Barnard Physical Education!
As per Emergency Executive Order No. 228 and related orders that apply in New York City, UNVACCINATED INDIVIDUALS are prohibited from entering in-person Physical Education classes, in-person FITbear classes, the Barnard Fitness Center. This prohibition extends to students, faculty, staff with approved exemptions. For more about Emergency Executive Order 228:
Fall 2021 PE courses (PDF)
PE Courses in Directory of Classes
- All Barnard students must complete one semester of PE or Dance, preferably in their First Year.
- Only students who have not yet completed the PE requirement can register for PE.
- SR, JR, SO and TR who need PE should add one course (PE or Dance) to their program during their assigned registration period.
- FY students should add PE (or Dance) to their program or get on a waitlist.
- Students on a PE waitlist should plan to attend the first week of classes to see if space is available.
- Barnard PE is open to Barnard students only.
- PE courses are graded Pass/Fail based on attendance and participation.
Need more info? Contact the individual instructor or the Department Chair.
Laura Masone, Dept Chair (Body Sculpt, Fitness Outside, Advanced Fitness) email@example.com
Lisa Northrop (Health Coaching, Yoga, Body Sculpt) firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Rodriguez (Yoga, Body Sculpt, Advanced Running) email@example.com
Cindy Lanzas (Yoga, Core Strength) firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen Shulman (T'ai Chi) email@example.com
India Choquette (Body Sculpt, Fitness Outside) firstname.lastname@example.org
Fitbear Fitness Classes
Fall 2021 Fitbear classes start Monday, Sept 20. FITbear classes are open to Barnard students ONLY. Students must create an account through Barnard College's IMLeagues portal. For more information visit https://pe.barnard.edu/fitbear.
Barnard faculty and staff are permitted to attend via Zoom. Please contact email@example.com for more info.
Classes will include: Body Sculpting, Yoga, Barre + Core, and Total Body. As for all Barnard buildings, masks are required during your workout. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
Barnard Fitness Center
Barnard Fitness Center is now open to Barnard students ONLY. Students must be registered in IMLeagues to participate. For more information about IMLeagues and the Barnard Fitness Center visit https://pe.barnard.edu/BFC
As for all Barnard buildings, masks are required during your workout.
Contact email@example.com for more info.
PE Mission Statement
The Physical Education Department subscribes fully to the College’s commitment to help women realize their full potential. Through regular participation in guided physical movement, the student gains enhanced physical fitness, improved self-esteem, and stress management techniques. Physical Education and the extra-curricular programs address the body-mind connection as the student learns skills that will influence the quality of her life currently in academic achievement and in all future endeavors.