Welcome to Barnard Physical Education!
Physical Education courses will be completely virtual in Spring 2021. We offer full semester Spring and Spring A and B. We will also offer PE courses in Summer A and Summer B.
** Waitlist students: A link for the first class will be sent before classes begin in January. Please plan to attend the first class on Jan 11 or 12 to see if space is available.
Spring 2021 info:
- All PE courses will be taught online via Zoom.
- Block A and Full semester courses begin January 11; Block B courses begin March 8.
- There are 5 choices for Spring: Yoga, Core Strength, Bodyweight Training Health Coaching and T'ai Chi.
- PE courses will have limited enrollment for the best possible experience.
- Students must participate with their Zoom video on.
- PE courses are graded Pass/Fail based on attendance and participation.
- All Barnard students must complete one semester of PE or Dance, preferably in their First Year.
- Only students who have not yet completed the PE requirement can register for PE.
- SR, JR, SO and TR who need PE should add one course (PE or Dance) to their program during their assigned registration period.
- FY students should add PE (or Dance) to their program or get on a waitlist.
- Students on a PE waitlist should plan to attend the first week of classes to see if space is available.
- If you are unable to get in to a course in Spring, plan for a PE course Summer.
- Barnard PE is open to Barnard students only.
Yoga - An introduction to Hatha Yoga focusing on flexibility and strength. Breathing practices and meditation techniques that relax and revitalize the mind and body are included. Mat or towel needed.
Core Strength - A combination of Pilates-based mat exercises and sculpting techniques to strengthen core and entire body. Emphasis on proper breathing and alignment. Mat or towel needed.
Bodyweight Training - Strength and endurance full-body exercises using only bodyweight (no equipment) with focus on proper form. This course is designed for all fitness levels with variations offered to increase and decrease the challenge. Mat or towel needed.
Health Coaching - A seminar course designed to teach students the process of identifying, setting, and achieving a specific health behavior change goal within the Wheel of Health. The course will consist of short lectures, discussions, and individual health coaching sessions. Action steps towards the health goal will be expected each week outside of class meeting times.
T'ai Chi - This series of classes will provide the practice of T'ai Chi Chuan as a moving meditation and health maintenance exercise. This process involves both physical and nonphysical work and introduces T'ai Chi as an exercise of consciousness. There will also be recommended reading selections in the history and philosophical underpinnings of T'ai Chi. No pre-requisite for this course. Each class will consist of physical practice of the T'ai Chi sequence of movements / postures, also discussion including history of and principles of T'ai Chi.
Spring 2021 PE courses (PDF)
PE Courses in Directory of Classes
Need more info? Contact the individual instructor or the Department Chair.
Laura Masone, Dept Chair (Bodyweight training) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Northrop (Health Coaching) email@example.com
Melanie Rodriguez (Yoga, Bodyweight Training) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Thompson (Yoga, Core Strength) email@example.com
Stephen Shulman (T'ai Chi) firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Fitness Program - Fitbear Programming
Barnard Physical Education has partnered with Columbia Physical Education and Recreation to offer live Zoom fitness classes. Instructors from both Fitbear and Columbia Group Fitness programs are participating.
In SPRING semester, there are 2 programs starting Jan 11: Virtual Fitness Class Pass (fee-based) and Virtual Wellbeing Classes (no fee). Both programs require separate pre-registration and password.
Virtual Fitness Spring Pass Schedule - $125 unlimited pass for the Spring
Virtual Wellbeing Spring Schedule - no fee - FREE
Barnard Fitness Center
Closed until further notice.
Contact email@example.com for more info.
For more information about the Barnard Fitness Center visit pe.barnard.edu/BFC
PE Mission Statement
The Physical Education Department subscribes fully to the College’s commitment to help women realize their full potential. Through regular participation in guided physical movement, the student gains enhanced physical fitness, improved self-esteem, and stress management techniques. Physical Education and the extra-curricular programs address the body-mind connection as the student learns skills that will influence the quality of her life currently in academic achievement and in all future endeavors.